Saturday, June 26, 2010

Voluntary "Taxes" For Things About Which We Care.



We get taxed so much, on every utility bill, state income tax, federal tax, etc. . . . It is surprising that people voluntarily donate on top of taxes. Today provided two examples of that.

First, my friends from the Cup of Coffee Networking were working on a garage sale to raise funds to help the fight against breast cancer. They have also held other fundraisers. They have family and jobs, yet they took the weekend to do this work.

Then, tonight, a dozen of us had dinner with United States Senator Ron Wyden at Andina Restaurant in Portland’s Pearl District. I’m very proud of our two senators. I know Jeff Merkley pretty well, but do not have a personal acquaintance with Ron. So, this was a good opportunity to meet him and show my support. Oregon sends two great guys to the Senate. Both are smart and public-spirited. I guess it comes down to: “put your money where your mouth is.”

No comments:

Post a Comment