Tuesday, August 6, 2019

The blessing of a best friend.



Tom Alexander, who was among the greatest blessings in my life, passed away on August 4.

Not sure when we met.  But I remember a triple date in 1973.  Six of us packed into his dad’s 1969 Camaro.  Lucky me, a 15-year-old with a 16-year-old friend so I could date Mary Lou.  We saw Papillon and returned to my basement for ping pong.

A true friend throughout high school, Tom remembered my birthdays and organized parties, including the one he took a picture of in 1975 and sent me last year. 

Off to different colleges we went.  Still, we met a couple of times in Southern California at Thanksgiving.  I remember the night at some disco drinking Southern Comfort (to great discomfort the next day) and bumping to “I don’t bump no more with no big fat woman.” 

Distance and life made it difficult for us to be face to face.  Yet, we got together in Arizona, Illinois, Oregon and Missouri, and we kept in touch by phone.

Just knowing Tom was out there made me feel good – supported and loved.  I knew if I were down, I could call.  If things were great, I could share the news. 

Tom was an unselfish, honest, considerate, responsible man with integrity.  Everyone trusted Tom.  He was a good man.  

We last got together shortly after his diagnosis two years ago.  It was a good visit with meaningful conversation.  Even then, unselfish Tom was more concerned about the impact of his brain cancer on his loved ones, especially Stacy and his mom.

Better than a friend, Tom felt like a big brother, whom I miss terribly. 

And he taught his dogs commands in English and Greek!




No comments:

Post a Comment