Monday, July 13, 2009

Just Reading: a rare luxury


Trout Lake,
Friday, July 10, 2009

How many Robins have I seen? Thousands. How many have I seen eating from a bird feeder? Zero. That thought occurred to me as a Stellar’s Jays took full advantage of three feeding stations in the yard. Hummingbirds found their feeder, too. Juncos, towhees, and chickadees are not above living off the dole. Then, a proud American Robin appeared above the feeder, with a big bug in its mouth, before flying off.

I have not moved from the back deck. Blue sky, warm breezes, and wildflowers in the yard delight the senses. I actually picked up a book and am reading.

It is the 6th anniversary of our marriage. This weekend, we look forward to sharing our home with Kim and John.

Right now, after a frenetic yesterday, I am content to continue sitting on the deck for another 4 or 5 hours, expecting A’ to arrive in and then Kim and John, giving me company and an excuse to open a bottle of beer, wine or rum.

No comments:

Post a Comment